February 03, 2012

Joyce Loves Scarves

Every time someone asks me to make them a scarf, I run for the hills!  No joke.  All I can think about is a million miles of stockinette, or garter stitches and the never ending mind bending number of rows to make the scarf as long as the person is tall.  Oy!

But not Joyce.  She has taken scarf making to a high art.  Show her what to do, as they do at her LYS, and off she goes, often making more than one or two of the same scarf in short order.  She almost always mixes her yarns, and she rarely knows which yarns are which, but she's not intimidated.

Here's a sample of what she's done:


It's a nice blue/purple ruffled scarf which she crocheted in January.  It'll be a gift for someone who I'm sure appreciates hand made.

Here's another:


It's an infinity scarf which was also made in January.  You can't see it because of my cheap camera, but it's two yarns mixed together and Joyce made it for herself.  Lovely.  Also made in January, I might add.

Then there's this one:


The cowl around her neck is made with just one skein of chunky yarn.  It's gorgeous!  I think she's keeping that one.  Did I mention she made it in January?

And lastly, she's working on this one:


When I left her on Thursday, she was about to bind off.  It's a potato chip-type scarf make in shades of black and white and blue.  Lovely, don't you think?

She made two other helix-type scarves in January also.  Joyce is the official scarf queen.

The lesson here is that a scarf doesn't have to be two million garter stitches.  It doesn't have to be boring and it doesn't have to take a lifetime to finish.  I'm going to take a lesson from Joyce and try something different - one day.  Maybe I'll hire her to make all of my scarves from now on.

Meanwhile, today I finished my mindfully knitted socks:


Mindful knitting isn't any different than any other type of knitting.  I did take the time to read the pattern carefully and I didn't whip through the pattern like I usually, but I made the same types of mistakes I usually do, I rip back the same as always, and mindful knitting didn't teach me a darned thing!

It was a nice thought though, and the socks are pretty cool.


Now that the socks are done, I have to look for my March project for 12 in '12.

1 comment:

  1. Wow- amazing scarves! The Chunky one is very interesting, and the last one looks like mushrooms which grow on trees, love it!
    Love the socks too. So now you are going to blow through your projects again? :o)

    ReplyDelete